Give your old Macbook or iMac a BIG performance boost!
Your Macbook or iMac is not performing well anymore and don’t have the money to buy a new one? need more performance or storage? An SSD and Memory Upgrade will boost performance by up to 600%.
Let us show you how…
Why an SSD? Why more RAM?
Solid Stat Drives Upgrade (SSDs)
Designed to replace traditional hard drives (HDD), solid state drives (SSDs) use flash memory to deliver vastly superior performance and durability. Since there are lots of small, moving parts inside your normal hard drive — magnetic heads, spindles and spinning platters — it’s easy for things to go wrong (you could lose your important data).
If you’re looking to keep your data safe and improve the performance of your system, here are four reasons why you will want to consider an SSD :
2. They’re faster : Without moving parts to slow your computer down, SSDs aren’t just faster; they’re ready to go when you are. SSDs offer instant-load performance, meaning faster boot times, faster application loading times, and better system responsiveness. They are about 6-7 times faster than regular HDD (read/write speeds).3. They’re easier to carry : Since SSDs weigh less than hard drives, they’re more mobile-friendly and they help make your laptop easier to carry. With lightweight components and solid construction, SSDs are better suited for the rigors of constant travel.
4. They’re more efficient : Since SSDs have no moving parts, they require less power to operate, which means you’ll get longer battery life. They’re even quieter, too.
Memory Upgrade (RAM)
Since your computer uses memory to perform almost all of its operations, it’s important to make sure it’s equipped with enough memory. Here is a list of symptoms that indicate the need for a memory upgrade :
Symptoms of memory deficiency
- You try to boot your computer and it takes a long time to load.
- You experience poor performance in everyday tasks. Programs either don’t respond or take longer than usual to load.
- You try to multitask and toggle between multiple programs, and your system slows to a crawl.
- You try to load a program and your system freezes.
- In some cases, your computer refuses to operate at all. When you try to open a file or program, your system doesn’t respond.
- You try to perform everyday tasks and your computer just isn’t running quite the way it used to.
Your old Macbook is not performing as good as it used to? Don’t buy a new one yet, save yourself money and give us a call today and we can let you know if a SSD and Memory upgrade is the right thing for you.
Not only do we fix broken screens, we also help our customers by providing extra protection. At JS Information, we offer a FREE tempered glass protector with any iPhone screen replacement. Stop by today to get your iPhone screen repaired and receive a free tempered glass protector.
1. Li-ion batteries experience very little memory effect
This means you can recharge your iPhone battery before it’s completely drained—with no consequences. Conversely, older nickel-centric batteries would “forget” what their capacity was, so it was advised to fully drain them before charging them back up again. That’s a huge pain, which makes Li-ion batteries a more convenient choice for electronics.
2. All batteries are consumables
That means you use them up and then they die. It’s the circle of life. Li-ion batteries primarily degrade over charge cycles—according to Apple, an iPhone retains up to 80 percent of its original capacity after 500 cycles. To put that into perspective: If you charged your iPhone every night for a year and a half, the battery meter would still read 100% after a full charge—but it would only last 80% as long as it did when you first got it. So if you’re an Angry Birds champion or a Twitter power-user, you might want to replace your battery sooner than that year-and-a-half-mark to enjoy optimal (untethered) play-time.
3. Modern day Li-ion batteries normally incorporate smart circuitry within the battery
… Which helps prevent them from becoming damaged or dangerous. This built-in governor works in conjunction with other safety systems, so you can keep your already-charged iPhone plugged in overnight without damaging the battery. The Lightning cable is part of that safety system. MFi Lightning cables include a chip that protects the device from dangerous voltage spikes and thermal runaway. In order to cut costs, many inexpensive Lightning cables (like the ones you see at the gas station) don’t include the MFi chip. So if you’ve already shelled out the dough to buy an iPhone, spend the extra cash and get an MFi-certified Lightning cable—it’s cheaper than replacing a fried iPhone.
4. We’ve all seen those horrifying pictures of swollen batteries circulating the interwebs—but how exactly does that happen?
A Li-ion battery becomes swollen with gases due to physical damage or malfunctioning protection circuitry, resulting in overcharging. The battery pack itself acts as a safety system by containing the offgassing. So if you encounter a swollen battery, immediately dispose of it properly. If you live in North America, you can contact Call2recycle at 1-877-723-1297.
5. Fact: Batteries are incredibly picky about their climate
Temperature is a key factor in keeping your Li-ion batteries healthy and happy. Batteries exposed to high temperatures (over 100ºF) through multiple charge cycles will suffer reduced longevity. Like your pet chihuahua, your phone will appreciate not being left in a hot car.
6. The sleep of death
Do not keep a Li-ion battery fully discharged for long periods of time. The battery’s protection circuit will cut the battery off when it drains too low, but it can only do so much. The battery will continue to slowly self-discharge, damaging the battery’s capacity and ability to recharge.
TLDR: Like any muscle, batteries get tired—but that doesn’t mean it’s the end of the line for your smartphone. Even if manufacturers would rather sell you a new device, you can get past those esoteric screws and get your current device back on track. Or, better yet, fight for your right to easy-access batteries. Who wants a phone with an expiration date anyway?
CRTC bans cellphone unlocking fees and orders all new devices to be unlocked
The era of having to pay cellular providers to unlock your cellphone will end this year.
As of Dec. 1, cellphone customers can ask their provider to unlock their phones free of charge, the CRTC announced June 15, 2017. At the same time, it said, all newly purchased mobile devices must be provided to customers unlocked.
Telecoms often order locked phones from manufacturers that are programmed to work only with their service. Then they charge a fee — typically $50 — to unlock the phone if a customer wants to switch providers.
In March, the CRTC reported that Canadian telecoms made a total of $37.7 million last year by charging customers to unlock their cellphones — a 75 per cent jump in that source of revenue compared with 2014.
During a February CRTC hearing, Bell, Rogers and Telus all stood by their unlocking fees.
The big three warned that if they didn’t charge an unlocking fee for the few customers who want it done, the cost would have to be passed on to everyone.
Canada’s main telecoms wouldn’t comment on the CRTC’s decision to ban unlocking fees, stating they’re still reviewing the new mandate.
JS Information – MacBook Repair & Upgrade Services
We offer Macbook repair for most issues with any Mac. From older MacBooks to the new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models. We can replace your broken display and upgrade your hard drive or memory. Update your operating system, replace a defective keyboard, trackpad, battery and more. Please contact JS Information today for repair availability and pricing on selected services.
Samsung cell phone & tablet repair
After several years of specializing in Apple products, we are taking the plunge. Yes, It’s time to expand our Samsung cell phone repair services. JS Information now offers cell phone and tablet repair services for Samsung and other popular brand products such as : HTC, LG, Google, etc.). As always, our repairs come with a 90 day warranty on parts and service, and we do offer free diagnosis.